It is given that rodent infestations can take a lot of forms, from the larger rat nests to several opossums that are both considered a nuisance animal. Opossums, by the way, are marsupial, however, their appearance and characteristics have similarities with rodents.
Unfortunately, a lot of rodents and nocturnal animals like opossum are wary of the noise and smells of humans, so they are attracted to it that is why they tend to build nests, and inhabit inside your home.
In order to identify if your home has opossum infestation, you should keep reading this post now. The places that you can find opossums either at your roof or attics at homes. They are expert climbers and they naturally live on trees, but for the past years, they love to live inside houses that make them considered already as a pest. Just like rats, they love to live in wall voids, insulation batts, dark basements, garages, and sheds.
Opossums are not just invasive, but they also cause a lot of damages in property compared to rats, even that they are living in smaller groups. They love to nibble on shingles, insulation wraps, and wood with their sharp teeth and claws. Their feces also leave stains and also carry deadly diseases such as tuberculosis and coccidiosis.
However, these animals are not that aggressive to humans, they just love to make nests in homes that is why they became invasive in many areas.
So, what are the signs of an opossum infestation? To know more keep reading this post now from the best possum removal in Melbourne.
- Visible damage to your home’s exterior– Opossums usually enter your home through climbing, so the damages are visible because their claws can tear up shingles and rip off soffit on your rooftop as well.
- Your pet’s food is running low suddenly– Opossums love to eat pet’s food especially cat food. You will surely notice that your pet’s food will suddenly disappear quicker. They also love to eat human food, so if you notice that your garbage bin has been disturbed, there is a big chance you have an opossum infestation in your house.
- There are weird noises in your roof and wall voids– Opossums can vocalize different hissing and shrieking noises. If you notice any clicking, hissing, or any lip-smacking somewhere in your home, there is a chance that you have an infestation.
- Scratching noises– Opossums nest within your roofs, wall voids, sheds, and attics, or your basement, and they will surely make a lot of noise when they make nest such as ripping, scratching, and scuttling noises that are similar to what rats do, but they are louder because of their relatively bigger size over rats.
- Unpleasant smell that is pervasive– One of the telltale signs that there is an opossum infestation in your house is the unpleasant smells that linger for a long time. Opossums defecate more frequently than most mammals and their feces can be as large as your pet cat. These feces have an unpleasant odor.