Is the Lodge Dutch Oven the best Dutch oven?
Hands down, the Lodge Dutch oven is our pick for best Dutch oven. Its thick cast iron construction and ample base allow you to sear large cuts of meat evenly and with 7.5 quarts of volume, you can feed a family of 10!
Its vibrant enamel coating is easy to clean and never requires seasoning. At a mere fraction of the cost of high-end competitors, this Lodge cookware has beauty beyond its finish.
Lodge cast iron cookware has a lifetime warranty and over 100 years of renowned Appalachian craftsmanship behind it. It is Fine Cooking’s favorite Dutch oven and one of the top two best reviewed by consumersearch.
Lodge Dutch ovens may be the most practical cookware on the market. They allow you to prepare and serve an entire meal with just one pot. For beef stew, use a Dutch oven to sauté onions until golden on your stove top; add cubed chuck roast and sear; add fresh vegetables, beef stock, a little red wine, and seasonings; and bake at a low temperature for succulent stew. After a few hours, transfer the Lodge cookware to your table and serve — all with the same pot!
Things to Consider
- Lodge cast iron cookware can be used safely for nearly every type of cooking, except on outdoor grills or campfires.
- This Lodge Dutch oven performs exceptionally well and is a fraction of the cost of comparable Le Creuset ovens.
- The lid fits tightly to seal in moisture.
- When using, match the size of the burner to the diameter of the Dutch oven as closely as possible to prevent overheating and/or warping.
- The cast iron core distributes heat quickly and evenly.
- Lodge cookware retains heat and will keep food warm for extended periods of time.
- This Dutch oven is substantial and holds a large meal. It is 12” in diameter and 4.75” deep, without its lid.
- Always add cooking oil or another liquid before heating a Lodge Dutch oven.
- Avoid metal utensils and use wooden or silicone utensils with this enamel finish.
- This cookware cannot be used in the microwave.
- This cookware is heavy and will scratch glass or ceramic stove tops if not handled properly. Always lift heavy Dutch ovens rather than sliding them.
- The knob on the lid of this cookware is oven safe to 400 degrees and should be checked periodically to ensure that it is secured tightly.
- While durable, it is possible to chip the enamel finish by dropping or banging the cookware. Handle it carefully.
- The 7.5 Quart Dutch oven is available in two colors: Caribbean blue and Island Spice red. The cast iron is not exposed anywhere; all surfaces are enamel.
Care and Cleaning
Before cleaning, allow Lodge cast iron cookware to cool. Hand wash with warm, soapy water. If scrubbing is necessary, use only plastic or nylon scouring pads. Dry the cookware with a towel (do not allow it to air dry).
For tougher jobs, fill the Dutch oven with two cups of water and one teaspoon of bleach. Allow it to soak for two to three hours. For persistent, burnt-on stains, bring one cup of water and two tablespoons of baking soda to a boil in the Dutch oven. Gently rub a wooden spoon across the bottom of the pot to dislodge the food. Allow the solution to cool before scrubbing lightly with a plastic scouring pad.
Lodge Dutch ovens arrive packed with rubber bumpers. If you are storing your Dutch oven in a crowded cabinet, the manufacturer suggests using these bumpers to prevent scratching.
This Lodge cookware is covered by a manufacturer’s limited lifetime warranty.
Lodge Dutch Oven Review Highlights
Pros: heavy duty construction, wide base maximizes surface for searing and braising, lid seals tightly, lifetime warranty, even heat distribution, high heat retention, affordably priced, available in two vibrant colors, consumersearch.com named it best Dutch oven in their review of enamel cast iron ovens
Cons: very heavy, should be hand washed and towel dried, should not be heated without oil or liquid, can chip if dropped or banged
Thank you for reading the Tools for Kitchens review of the Lodge Dutch Oven!
Watch Nigella Lawson Use a Dutch Oven to Prepare Sumptuous Chocolate Chip Chili